Monday, June 21, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Well, I've read about 347 books about pregnancy so far and each one of them has their lists of changes you will experience during the exciting 9 month time frame. I'm making up my own to document all the changes I've experienced over the last 6 months and also during Rockstar Daughter's dwelling within my womb.

1. Food likes/Dislikes

I've never been picky. Besides not liking a few foods like celery, cheese whiz (if that even counts as a food), and pea soup, I've always eaten what was put in front of me. But man oh man, am I one picky preggo person (alliteration anyone?)! When meal time comes around I can actually see Hubby's dread on his face. Whatever he suggests is not what I want. When he actually mentions something I would like to eat, it takes me some time to actually commit to eating it because I'm still not 100% sure. I've even gone to the extreme of having to "hide" things in the cupboard that are unappealing to me. There was a few months where the sight of the canned tomatoes would make me want to run to the bathroom and puke up whatever measly breakfast I had that morning. They are still in their hiding place to this day because I'm just not sure if I'm ready to come face to face with them yet.

2. Energy
I'm tired. All. The. Time.

3. People's attitudes towards your bump.
Who doesn't love a little baby belly? This time round, its altogether different. I was a very young Mamabear 11 years ago and, although I had nothing but support from my wonderful family/friends, there were more then a few times when I had run-ins with complete strangers who lacked any kind of accepted social behaviour. Luckily, I knew what the people around me thought and that was all that mattered to me. This time, its like people instantly smile when they see the belly! :)

4. Clothes
Obviously, your body changes and therefore, so does your wardrobe. But, something funny kind of happens to. You know when you go shopping (Now, not everyone will get what I'm saying, but most women will), and you go in the dressing room and your like...."Hmmm...I like this, but I wish it was longer/looser or hides my belly more"? Well, YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT NOW!! Its so nice to go looking for clothes that shows off your belly!! :)

5. Emotions
Ok, so I was never the type to cry during a sad movie, or after reading a sweet card or anything unless it really merited a few tears. Now I cry over everything!! Commercials, movies, songs, greeting cards, emails from friends, etc. Now, mind you they are all "Oh I'm just so happy I could cry" tears but this is all new to me!! My hard ass rep is being compromised...... :P

6. Hair Growth
Another not so pleasant change. All the books will casually mention that your hair MAY grow quicker and thicker during pregnancy. Now, its lovely that your once flat hair is now full of volume and shiny-ness, but you know whats not so lovely? Wearing an extra layer on your legs. Yea, that's not fun. Now I know what men feel like during their five o'clock shadow time. I know, lovely mental picture....my bad. Its annoying, obviously, but besides the fact that our budget for razors has flown completely out the window, its not that bad. My only regret is that I'm not preggo through the winter....it sure would come in handy to my home-made, naturally grown leg warmers then instead of now!

7. How you "express yourself"
There are two types of people in this world.
- The ones who say I never curse, ever.
&
- The ones who think I could give a rough looking, tattooed sailor a run for his money in the profanity department.
As you are reading this, you can easily place yourself in either category.
The first group mostly consists of my family, work friends, Rockstar Daughter's friend's parents, etc and most importantly, any child within ear shot. I'm a firm believer of sheltering kids from all those bad words, even though, BELIEVE ME, they hear them at school! Sissy and I never heard bad words growing up, well not from our family anyways, and I'm trying my hardest to make sure Rockstar Daughter doesn't either.
Now that all the books say Gummy Bear can hear sounds through the belly, Hubby and I find ourselves shushing each other a lot when its just the two of us, saying "SSSSHHHHHH, the baby can hear!"

There are many more changes that each Mamabear experiences (and Daddybears to!) but these are the most prominent in our Happy Little Home.
Would you add any to the list?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the hair thing is less-than pleasant! I've also got a lovely layer of fuzz all over my belly that I never had before! Several sites assure me that it will go away after Baby B is born (here's hoping!).

    Peeing in the night is another big one for me. I never did before becoming pregnant, and now as I work my way through the final third of my pregnancy I get up at least two or three times a night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cracked up reading this!!! My hubby also gets the looks of dread at meal times. lol! And I didn't even experience the kind of morning sickness/all day sickness you did!! For whatever reason I just feel fussy when it comes to food. I always take a lunch to work but now that I am pregnant I find myself turning my nose up all to often and buying whatever the mood strickes at the time!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your mark!